This blog is a sounding board for Oldgolfdawg, a veteran chaser of the little white pea. It will be used to share his thoughts about golf in general, but it will concentrate largely on topics of interest to central Ohio golfers.


Tuesday, April 6, 2010

It's back to business for Woods

There was no Jimmy Swaggart moment during Tiger Woods’ 34-minute press conference yesterday in the Augusta National press room, his first before more than 200 members of the media since revelations of his sex scandal emerged. People hoping for an emotional “I have sinned” spectacle were probably disappointed.

Woods calmly answered any and all questions thrown at him and appeared to be a peace with himself. He kept private what he wanted to and made no excuses. He blamed no one but himself. You can believe he was sincere and accept his answers or dismiss them as just his latest attempt to rebuild a tarnished image.

It appears to Oldgolfdawg that the most successful athlete of our time is ready to move on and get back to the business of winning golf tournaments. It’s probably a long shot that he’ll win this week and add a fifth green jacket to his collection, but something Woods said during the press conference struck a chord with Oldgolfdawg when he was asked how he expects to feel when he goes to the first tee on Thursday.

"It feels fun again,” Woods said. “You know, that's something that's been missing. Have I been winning? Have I been competing? Have I been doing well? Yeah, I have. I've won numerous times the last few years, but I wasn't having anywhere near the amount of fun. Why? Because ... look at what I was engaged in. When you live a life where you're lying all the time, life is not fun. And that's where I was. Now that's been stripped away, and here I am. And it feels fun again."

That should frighten his colleagues on the PGA Tour. It probably won’t be long before Woods is back dominating the game, tarnished image or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment