This blog is a sounding board for Oldgolfdawg, a veteran chaser of the little white pea. It will be used to share his thoughts about golf in general, but it will concentrate largely on topics of interest to central Ohio golfers.


Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Masters like no other looms

Tiger Woods' decision to begin his 2010 season at the Masters at Augusta National Golf Club in April was music to the ears of ESPN and CBS Sports. TV ratings for this year's Masters will likely set all kinds of records when the first two rounds will be televised on ESPN and the final two by CBS Sports.

“Obviously, the ratings will be off the chart," PGA Tour veteran Heath Slocum said. "It will be interesting to watch -- not only the reaction from him, but from the fans, the media, the players. I would venture to say he might be nervous.”

Woods made the following announcement yesterday on his Web site:
"The Masters is where I won my first major, and I view this tournament with great respect. After a long and necessary time away from the game, I feel like I'm ready to start my season at Augusta.

"The major championships have always been a special focus in my career and, as a professional, I think Augusta is where I need to be, even though it's been awhile since I last played.

"I have undergone almost two months of inpatient therapy, and I am continuing my treatment. Although I'm returning to competition, I still have a lot of work to do in my personal life.

"When I finally got into a position to think about competitive golf again, it became apparent to me that the Masters would be the earliest I could play. I called both Joe Lewis and Arnold Palmer and expressed my regrets for not attending the Tavistock Cup and the Arnold Palmer Invitational. I again want to thank them both for their support and their understanding. Those are fantastic tournaments, and I look forward to competing in them again.

"I would also like to thank the Augusta National members and staff for their support. I have deep appreciation for everything that they do to create a wonderful event for the benefit of the game."

Woods has been in seclusion and undergoing therapy since Thanksgiving night when his life began to unravel after a traffic accident led to revelations of infidelity. He has made only one public statement since that time. He last played on the PGA Tour in the Tour Championship on Sept. 28, where he finished second. His layoff between the Australian Masters and U.S. Masters will be 144 days -- the second-longest of his career. He missed 256 days recovering from knee surgery in 2009.

There was a lot talk by many players that it would be best if Woods returned to competitive golf before the Masters to avoid having the staid event become a circus, but that apparently didn't factor in Woods' decision. The world's No. 1-ranked player indicated it boiled down to when he thought his game would be ready and that was good enough an explanation for many of his peers.

"We want the best player in the world out playing golf again," longtime rival Jim Furyk said. "He's got to do what's best for him. I realize looking at the big picture it's good for everyone. What's good for the best player in the world is probably good for the big picture and the PGA Tour."

Fears by some that Masters officials would be upset about having their tournament take a backseat to Woods' return apparently were overblown. Billy Payne, chairman of Augusta National and the tournament, said: "We support Tiger's decision to return to competitive golf beginning at this year's Masters Tournament. Additionally, we support and encourage his stated commitment to continue the significant work required to rebuild his personal and professional life."

The Masters is scheduled for April 8-11. Since World War II, only one player has made his first official event of the year the Masters and gone on to win -- Ben Hogan in 1951 and 1953. Woods is a four-time Masters champion, although he has not won at Augusta National since 2005, his longest drought there.

"We were pleased to learn that Tiger Woods will be playing the Masters in a few weeks," PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said in a statement. "He has invested a lot of time taking steps, both in his personal and professional life, in order to prepare for his return. We all wish him and his family the best as he rejoins the Tour."

Information from ESPN.com, PGA Tour.com, the Associated Press and Golf Channel.com contributed to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment